Sunday, January 13, 2008
Sunday
Laundry day! Yep- found the only laundry mat in Palmer and it reminded me of past days hanging out on the weekends in the laundry mat in the villages. Though the villages were much cleaner, smelled better, and weren't parked next to an old timers bar....So walking into this place this sharp waff of stale wash water, dryer lint, and laundry soap hit me in the face. Then the quarter machine was out and it was all of a wopping -7* outside so the closest place to get quarters was this little corner old timers bar a few doors up from the laundry mat. I walked in and they had the football play offs on tv but the place was pretty empty. The bar tender was nice when I explained my situation and exchanged my dollars for quarters. So I went back to the laundry mat and did my wash and nearly set my synthetic/wool socks on fire because the driers were super hot! I'm just glad I didn't shrink my carharts! All in all the place had character and was nice and warm so I have no complaints! Found a Lutheran church to go to as well this morning and will probly be attending when I can- the music was good and the service was typical Lutheran fashion.....(smiling) Yep- so this means that I officially lose my heathan status for a while, ha,ha,ha! No- just kidding! But for all of you who may be thinking that I have totally lost my way because I had no church in Seward and am going to work with and will soon be living amongst other greasier mechanic type scruffies....well not all greasy scruffies are lost. At least not completely....Enough said. I konw that I have lived in colder stuff before, but I think I have gotten wimpier living in Seward, because this negative standing cold- dry air weather sucks! I think I wouldn't mind it as much if I wer not haveing such a difficult time keeping my truck starting and motating. This is the first hotel in Alaska that I have lived in that doesn't have some sort of plug-in spots availible for the guests....Seriously! Even Seward has plug-in! So I lied, there is one plug-in spot near the back door and the rule is that if one can park near it, one can run a hundred feet or so of extention cord in the morning to plug-in just long enough to get your trucfk started. But no overnight plug-ins....So its been a true adventure and in a month I will look back at this cold challenge stuff and laugh at how rediculous yet normal it all is!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh my gosh, a Lutheran grease monkey! Imagine that... And whoever designed the hotel you're staying at didn't do a very good job of planning that. I thought it was some kind of common sense to have a place to plug your can into in Alaska. Or some kind of law or something. I dunno. Weird.
Post a Comment